image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
The building on the small island of Karantina facing Urla was used as a Quarantine hospital, possibly French built but not used exclusively by French mariners and passengers from and to Izmir in Ottoman times, as a way station. The building was in operation between 1865 and 1950. The Smyrna Karantina-Quarantaine sanitary administration moved in 1864 from Izmirís Karantina suburb to this island off Urla connected with a causeway to the mainland. The island was then called Karantina for the purpose of sanitary control on passengers coming from ports considered risky to spread contagious diseases.
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
A rail supported heat disinfection system for the clothing of passangers direct from the ship.
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011
image courtesy of Denem Orhun, 2011