Range of images from Feyyaz Erpi’s book ‘Buca’da Konut Mimarisi’ [Domestic Architecture of Buca] (1838-1934) - Ankara, 1987.
The former ‘Princess Borghese’ house, now trapped amongst the walls of modern developments, having lost its once extensive garden.
The Guest house, one of the former British managers of the Smyrna-Aydin railway company.
Situated between the Barff house the former Orthodox Church, the former house of Antoine and Reannine Rivans.
The remains of the Gout house [Yeşil Köşk = Green Mansion] in the 1970s. According to information Kararas received from William Blackler, John Gout arrived in Smyrna in 1792 and was in the carpet trade and bought this land from a Turkish Pasha. Lord Byron was a visitor here in 1810 and in 1894 the property was sold to Bliss, a manager in the Mac Andrews and Forbes Company. This house later passed on to the ownership of the Gordon family and with his death in 1902, was sold to a Turk. The house and row of cypress trees were demolished in 1955.
The former Count Dr. Aliberti house on Kıbrıs Cad.
The former Heginbotham House on Atadan Cad.
The earlier Rees house (?) on Atadan Cad.
Click to view map of Buca showing location of properties with major grounds:
Click for alternative Kararas book views | archive postcard | modern views of this neighbourhood.